Walt Disney’s Barn
This is the actual barn that was in Walt Disney’s backyard in Holmby Hills, California. It was here that Walt, a member of LALS, had his workshop and ran the switches for his home railroad. The barn is open on the third Sunday of each month from 11am-3pm. The barn features displays of Disney, LALS and railroad related memorabilia. Guided tours are provided by members of the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society.
Stationary Steam Plant
The Stationary Steam Plant consists of a 10 HP boiler operating at 150 PSI maximum. The boiler is fired with diesel fuel. There are seven operating steam engines. One is a steam powered air compressor weighing in the order of 3500 lbs., and was used in the oil fields in California. Another is a steam pump patented in 1872; the steam cylinder is on top and the pump on the bottom. One engine operates a can crusher and another a conveyor belt to transfer the crushed cans into a container. The largest vertical engine drives an overhead line shaft that in turn drives a drill press, a grindstone and a centrifugal pump that supplies water to a fountain. The engine ages aside those already mentioned are from about 1900, the 1920’s and probably the early 1930’s. The Stationary Steam Plant is fired up on the third Sunday of the month.
Santa Fe Steel Caboose #999355
Santa Fe 999355, is a steel CE-2 caboose built in 1929 as Santa Fe 1831, part of a Santa Fe order of 125 cabooses numbered 1750-1874. American Car & Foundry built this caboose; it was painted mineral red with white letters. Santa Fe 1831 was remanufactured in 1969 with a new number 999355 and its current paint scheme. Santa Fe referred to their cabooses as waycars. This car ended its career in the early 1980’s working on a ballast train in the Cajon Pass. The car was retired in December 1983. It was set on display in December 1984. Today, this car is used as a caretaker’s residence. The caboose was repainted in 2007 using protypical colors.
Union Pacific Steel Caboose #25064
UP 25064, is a steel CA-3 caboose built in June 1942 as UP 3764, part of a UP order of 100 cabooses numbered 3700-3799. This was the first all steel caboose series built for Union Pacific by the Mt. Vernon Car Co. All UP cabooses up to this time had been made of wood and reinforced with steel. UP 3764 was repainted and renumbered in June 1960 into its current yellow, red and gray paint scheme from its original freight car red paint and white lettering scheme. This caboose was retired in March 1979. Union Pacific was contacted in 1980 to donate a caboose to Museum. This donation was set on display November 1980. Today, this car is used as a meeting and training room. The caboose was repainted in 2006 using protypical colors.
Union Pacific Baggage Dorm Car #6009
Union Pacific Baggage Dorm Car 6009 was one of two Baggage Dorm cars built by Pullman Standard for Union Pacific in 1941. Its first number was LA 103 as part of the 1941 version of the City of Los Angeles train. Car LA 103 ran from Los Angeles to Chicago as part of a 14 car consist. It was remodeled in 1945 and again in 1947. LA 103 was then renumbered to CP 103 and assigned to the City of Portland train. The car was renumbered 6009 and placed in the UP general car pool. The car was retired from passenger service by May 1971, and was found in a scrap yard in Santa Fe Springs. The car arrived April 1986. Today the baggage compartment is used for the Museum’s workshop; the dormitory compartment is used for storage.
Union Pacific Sleeper Car #1209
Union Pacific Sleeper Car 1209 (National Progress) was built in 1956 as part of a 15 car order in the (National) car series, 3 of the cars in this order were built for the Wabash. (8 of these cars exist as of January 2004) The Pullman Standard Company built the car. It is 85′ long and of the 6-4-6 class type of sleeping car. It had 6 roomettes, 4 bedrooms, and an open six-seat section. It was originally assigned to the City of San Francisco; it then ran on the City of Portland. This car was retired from passenger service by May 1971, and was found in a scrap yard in Santa Fe Springs. The car arrived April 1986. Today the car is used as the Museum’s official meeting car.